If you haven’t been to a dentist in a while you’ve made an important decision to make an appointment tpday!
Your initial appointment usually will consist of a medical and dental history review, x-rays and a comprehensive exam. During this appointment we expect you to have questions. We want you to feel free to express your concerns and dental goals to attain a healthy and beautiful smile.
Transparency in your dental care is vital – going to the dentist can be stressful for anyone, and part of how we help alleviate that stress is by clear communication with our patients. We listen to your needs and concerns and recommend treatment to help you achieve optimal dental health and a beautiful smile.
Once your exam is completed, Dr. Lakhani will discuss his findings. Together we will create a comprehensive treatment plan that best meets your dental health requirements and personal desires. We can perform your treatments over a period of time if necessary to give you the smile you need in a time-frame you can afford.
What to Expect at Your First Checkup
Our new patient appointments are about an hour and half long. We take pride in getting to know each of our patients, tailoring treatments to the health needs and goals of every individual. Here’s what to expect the first time you come to our office:
- Dental History—Our team will gather dental and medical histories so that we have a clear picture of your current health, including any medical conditions that can impact dental treatment. You will be asked to provide a list of your medications. Please alert the office if you have a medical condition that may be of concern prior to treatment (i.e., diabetes, high blood pressure, artificial heart valves and joints, rheumatic fever, etc.) or if you are currently taking any medication (i.e., heart medications, aspirin, anticoagulant therapy, etc.)
- Digital X-rays—We take digital x-rays as diagnostic material for your comprehensive oral exam. If you have had x-rays taken within the last 12 months, please have them sent to our office. If you are unable to have x-rays taken, please inform the team.
- Oral Screening and Teeth Exams—After we perform an oral cancer/lesion screening for symptoms of cancer and other illnesses, such as heart disease, cancer, and diabetes, we examine your teeth.
- Gum Evaluation and Teeth Cleanings—Our hygienist will evaluate your gums, measuring periodontal pockets with a probe, and clean your teeth by identifying and removing areas of tartar, plaque, and calculus.
- Oral Hygiene Habits—We end your visit by reviewing and reinforcing proper oral hygiene.
Our goal is for patients to leave the office without any questions or concerns as well as having knowledge of their personal dental health.
IMPORTANT: All patients under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.